Executive Board

What Have Senators Been Up To This Week?

October 2nd - November 16th

Austin, Martel Senator

  • Following up on retreat, asking Martelians what they thought about the retreat
  • Pass/fail conversation, Faculty Senate bringing up again
  • Building NSR relationship
  • Meeting with administrators in relation to senator project addressing student leadership
  • Creating a survey to send out to current and former student leaders
  • Meetings with Martel NSRs
  • On that study grind

Dan, Jones Senator

  • Continued projects from last week
  • Communicated concerns with pass/fail policy changes to magister, engaged in conversation
  • Further research into Rice’s endowment investment strategies
  • Met with Tessa for semester check in
  • Began regular meetings with Jones’ fantastic NSRs now that midterms have slowed down
    • I mean like seriously tho Jones really did strike the lottery on our NSRs this year
  • Continued researching Rice’s finances and contacted members of Rice’s Budget Office regarding operations funds during the pandemic
  • Continued working with Jones Cabinet and Adult Leadership regarding culture during the pandemic
  • Continued work with other SA members regarding Off Campus accommodations this year

Gargi, Brown Senator

  • Surveyed trans/GNC students with Kirsty as preliminary research for a resolution on increasing gender sensitivity on campus
  • Met with environmental committee, may interview Tudor of Tudor Fieldhouse and help with Thresher op-ed for divestment advocacy
  • Planning impostor syndrome project with Trisha + Helen (Sid NSR), meeting with Agnes Ho from Wellbeing next week
  • Checking-in with NSRs and offering suggestions for their projects
  • Met with Tessa for semester check-in :)
  • Met with Kirsty about responses to the trans/gender non-conforming student feedback form and planned our larger project areas/goals for improving gender inclusivity across campus
  • Met with Agnes Ho w/ Trisha to discuss impostor syndrome programming
  • Met with NSRs to discuss committee projects
  • Met with head RHAs + Trisha and Helen to discuss impostor syndrome programming
  • Went to environmental committee meeting, drafted questions for interview with Bobby Tudor
  • Senator focus group on sexual assault prevention/education
  • Met with Brown NSRs to discuss projects
  • Working on resolution for academic accommodations
  • Research on impostor syndrome with Trisha

Hunter, McMurtry Senator

  • Publicized information on existing passed Senate Legislation and the follow-up action that’s been taken as a result.
  • Provided contact information for the Task Force on Slavery, Segregation, and Racial Injustice and encouraged students to reach out.

Jared, Lovett Senator

  • Planned “Paying Attention” event with the SA IPVP
  • Met with Dr. Matt Taylor and undergraduate student representatives in the DG TIX WG to discuss student outreach
  • Meeting with Lovett NSRs and President
  • First Phils rehearsal with all of the “New New New New Phils”
  • Collecting and organizing reflections from the Paying Attention IPVPxSTRIVE event
  • Preparing new content with the Phils for Family Weekend
  • Hosting Spring Academic Calendar Discussion at Lovett CC
  • Met with IPVP Subcommittee to discuss Policy Engagement
  • Advocated for the removal of Willy’s Statue alongside my fellow Senators
  • Began preparing new music ahead of the Phil’s Homecoming Reunion this weekend
  • Conflict resolution with the Lovett SA Representation Team
  • Semester transition prep with Phils

Jayaker, Will Rice Senator

  • Bonding with NSRs
  • Looking into Senator Project on civic engagement
  • Set up consistent meeting time with NSRs and had first meeting!
  • MidtermsMet with Will Rice President and New Student Representatives to discuss Senate
  • Reading over work and results of the 2018-19 SA Civic Engagement Working Group to identify departure points
  • Related to above, researching peer institutions’ approaches to civic and community engagement in the classroom
  • Weekly meeting with Will Rice President and NSRs
  • Reached out to Dr. Vann at the Center for Civic Leadership about civic engagement in the classroom
  • Continued to look at civic engagement curriculum at peer institutions
  • Met with the Will Rice NSRs
  • Scheduled a meeting with Dr. Vann at the CCL for next week on civic engagement in curriculum and the sciences

Kirsty, Wiess Senator

  • Led the Pro-Black advocacy room at retreat
  • Looking into what to incorporate into Pro-Black Task Force
  • Buying gift baskets for NSRs
  • Thinking about senator project, continuing with diversity training for faculty and staff resolution
  • Co-authoring resolution and public comment for the SA on proposed VISA changes for international students (shoutout to SA EVP Tessa!)
  • Researched diversity and inclusion trainings and initiatives at peer institutions in preparation for personal project
  • Reached out to a few committee chairs, other SA members about collaboration on some of their goals for the upcoming year
  • Working with Wiess Diversity Council on Hispanic Heritage Month initiative similar to Humans of New York
  • Continued to love, support, and meet with my amazing NSRs and College Pres!
  • Met with Phoebe to discuss collaboration on sex-ed resources project for students
  • Researched other university’s resources for sex-ed and spoke with RHAs about what Rice offers
  • Met with EVP Tessa about upcoming expectations, goals, and projects
  • Met with Wiess President and NSRs to discuss Senate agenda and new student perspectives
  • Currently reading and reviewing previous SA work on DEI efforts on campus as background for personal project
  • Beginning collaboration with Phoebe and Jordan (from the SAFE office) on sexual health resources
  • Finished public comment on International Student VISA proposed changes; going out soon for comments from SA members and other Rice students!
  • Helping Wiess NSR’s plan a Wiess Secret Santa to bring holiday cheer!
  • Surveyed trans/gender non-conforming students with Gargi as preliminary research for a resolution on increasing gender sensitivity on campus
  • Phoebe and I met with Jordan Everett from the SAFE office about sexual health resources
  • Scheduled (and now rescheduling) meeting with Phoebe and Dr. McKelvey about sexual health resources
  • Met with Gargi about responses to the trans/gender non-conforming student feedback form and planned our larger project areas/goals for improving gender inclusivity across campus
  • Discussed with RWRC Directors/Coordinators on a statement explicitly stating support for all gender minorities on campus
  • Reached out to Isabel Wiatt, head of the Student Center Design Working Group, about inclusion of gender neutral bathrooms in the new RMC
  • On Student Leadership Panel for UNIV 110 and talked about getting involved in the SA
  • Met with Phoebe to finalize our outline for a sexual health guidebook
  • Met with Dr. McKelvey and Phoebe about contraceptives and STI testing on campus
  • Researching off campus sexual health services within Houston for guide book
  • Met with Senator mentor
  • Showed NSRs how to note-take for Senate and present at Wiess Cabinet- they were amazing, as expected

Leigh, Hanszen Senator

  • Setting meeting time with NSRs (navigating time differences)
  • Met with AMC to discuss senator ideas
  • Sent out form about things happening in SA, want to know what people are saying
  • Senator project exploration – increasing resources and opportunities for archi/VADA students, increasing creative expression across campus
  • Passionate about Culture of Care
  • Midterms #rip first time I’ve been on a ~real~ academic grind all year
  • Reached out to Fabiola Lopaz-Duran about proceeding with Senator Project to increase student art and curation across campus
  • Join Rice Yoga Collective of Facebook if you want
  • Bought tickets to visit friends in Boston!
  • Vibe check: 🙆‍♀️
  • Met with SA President AMC to discuss current and potential OC Student resources as well as develop idea for personal project
  • Met with NSR to discuss their ideas and goals; planning Senator + NSR study break for Hanszen
  • Currently looking over previous OC Working Group concerns and recommendations
  • Conversation with college about P/F recommendations and potential next steps Collecting feedback regarding academic policy preferences for next semester
  • Held multiple discussions with Hanszenites regarding “sprinkle day” policy
  • NSR bonding <3
  • Met with Fabiola to initiate movement to increase commissioned student art across campus
  • Planning senator/NSR study break for Hanszen!! :)
  • Lily, Baker Senator
  • Set meeting w/ Wellbeing Committee to debrief km updated from Agnes Ho and discuss ways forward
  • Set meeting over the development of the new Diversity and Inclusion Course with Dr. Byrd, Mr. Edmond and the D+I Committee
  • Currently organizing meeting on actions to oppose the P/F recommendations
  • Meeting with Baker Magisters around the Baker Anti-Hate Act and began discussing how to make this a cross-college effort
  • Looking into efforts around researching RUPD
  • Met with both NSRs individually and helped them develop projects

Phoebe, Duncan Senator

  • Met about off-campus student concerns
  • Facilitated brainstorming session for Health and Disabilities breakout room at Fall Retreat
  • Met with Anna Margaret!
  • Getting to know my New Student Representatives and their ideas for the year
  • Joined Student Health Services committee
  • Collected feedback from Duncan about legislation on o-week coordinator compensation
  • Met with Interpersonal Violence Prevention committee about sex-ed resources, looking to establish working relationship with Resource Visibility team for my personal project
  • Researched reproductive justice initiatives by New York University and Princeton students
  • In communication with Graduate Student Association President about gender equity in faculty hiring and retention
  • Progress with off-campus student support: meeting with RUPD soon about increasing blue lights and street lights (shoutout to Trisha for setting this up!), exploring past work on off-campus student support (shoutout to John!), reaching out to relevant faculty
  • Met with Student Health Services Committee heads about my personal project
  • Met with Student Health Services Committee about committee initiatives
  • Met with my new student representatives again!Met with Kirsty to work on sex-ed & health literacy resources. Also, continuing research and outreach about this!
  • Informing Duncan on Faculty senate’s Pass/Fail resolution, Spring Calendar, and other discussion topics - and collecting feedback on this
  • Attended focus group with the Provost
  • Met with Beth and Diana from Housing & Dining about website for off campus student resources
  • Beginning collaboration with Alison, Graduate Student Association President, on faculty gender equity concerns
  • Student Health Services Committee projects
  • Beginning collaboration with Kirsty and Jordan (from the SAFE office) on sexual health resources
  • Postponed meeting with RUPD & Trisha about blue lights/street lights :(
  • Kirsty & I met with Jordan Everett from the SAFE office about sexual health resources!
  • Trisha met with RUPD about blue lights and street lights. I wasn’t able to make the meeting but I’m in communication with them and excited to see where this goes.
  • Meeting with Kirsty & Dr. McKelvey tomorrow (the 30th) about sexual health resources.
  • Met with Kirsty to finalize our outline for a sexual health guidebook
  • Met with Dr. McKelvey and Kirsty about contraceptives and STI testing on campus - super excited about where we left off!!
  • Researching pros/cons of the sexual health services offered on campus, I’m making use of this site https://www.bedsider.org if you’re interested!
  • Met with Student Health Services Committee, this included an update from Krithika on the Menstrual Product Accessibility Initiative, and work on compiling info on off-campus health resources
  • Met with my New Student Representatives: bonding sesh, updated them on my projects and goals, helped them brainstorm project ideas
  • In grind mode until November 20th :(
  • Senator focus group on sexual assault prevention/education
  • Met with Kirsty and Krithika about sexual health guidebook
  • Usual weekly meetings with Duncan gov and Student Association :)

Trisha, Sid Richardson Senator

  • Retreat
  • NSR bonding
  • Met with Phoebe about OC student concerns
  • Met with AMC about Student Survey
    • Flu vaccine question + ADA notetaker questions
  • Rice Climate Alliance meeting on voter guide to Harris County candidates (in terms of sustainability)
  • Inviting down-ballot candidates to have a forum at Rice and increase down-ballot enthusiasm (got 4 people confirmed so far!)
  • Sent out feedback form to college (few responses :( )
  • Contacting UT profs to get syllabi for Hindi, Telugu, Tamil COLL classes
  • Met with environmental committee chairs to discuss divestment + waste management
  • Writing Thresher op-ed regarding climate-focused down ballot races on behalf of Rice Climate Alliance (along with Gargi and Eunice Aissi!)
  • Set up upcoming meeting with RUPD to discuss blue lights and street lights (working with Phoebe and potentially Dan + John on this, so super excited!) and looking at past OC work (ty to John for sending it over!)
  • Met with Student Health Services Director (Jessica McKelvey) to discuss future flu vaccine accommodations <- already placed a q on SAS about this, so not much more on this topic until data comes back
  • Met with Zubaidat Agboola (rep on Faculty General Curriculum review) to discuss project regarding academic hours ; also asked senators for feedback on this project so thank you to everyone who responded!
  • Began to set up students to take COLL 300 next semester in order to teach COLL classes for south asian languages next semester
  • Helping both my NSRs with their personal projects, super excited that they have such positive initiatives thought-out and ready!
  • Revising Sid constitution for new sid :’)
  • Took minutes at Monday’s Senate! No idea how Sav does it, I was absolutely dying :’)
  • Got a Thresher Op-Ed published with Gargi (+ Eunice from Climate Alliance) regarding down-ballot voting and climate change
  • ^^ related to this, helped conduct research to get a voter guide ready that we’re circulating this week; candidates that the Rice Climate Alliance endorses from an environmental perspective; helping circulate it among club leaders
  • Got a meeting time set with RUPD, Phoebe, and one of my NSRs, where we’re going to discuss blue lights + street lights
  • Onboarding another person to the graduation hours project, scheduling a meeting with AMC to see where this initiative could go
  • Discussion at Sid about room draw process for our new building, deciding logistics, etc.
  • Looking into imposter syndrome programming as another potential personal project
  • Organizing a down-ballot candidates forum! Got 8 down-ballot candidates for different races (like railroad commissioner, state board of education, county attorney) to commit to next Friday at 7PM, so i’m putting together publicity materials, a format guide, and questions
  • Organized meeting with CLIC to find faculty sponsor for South Asian language classes
  • Helping NSRs along with their personal projects, designing merch with them to be raffled off as incentives
  • Met with AMC to talk about academic hours project; started reaching out to some admin + stakeholders to begin discussions
  • Met with Beth and Diana from Housing & Dining about website for off campus student resources
  • Postponed blue lights meeting w/ Phoebe + RUPD till next week :( but putting together a more comprehensive agenda for it!
  • Began thinking about an interview w/namesake of Tudor Fieldhouse and Thresher op-ed as part of the Environmental Committee
  • Reached out to H&D to get New Sid involved in pre-consumer composting trials!
  • Scheduled a meeting with Agnes Ho around impostor syndrome project (w/Gargi and one of my NSRs!); also met w/ Sid’s head RHA to discuss our proposal nd get feedback
  • Having first divestment meeting! (climate/environment-focused)
  • Started co-chairing sid’s new environmental committee!
  • Hosting a down-ballot candidates forum w/Rice ACLU! Dem. candidates for county attorney, railroad commissioner, state school board of education, and chief justice will be there to answer student questions and raise enthusiasm for down-ballot races Met w/RUPD, looks like blue lights + street lights process is a little more intensive (and focused on admin + FE&P) than expected, but I have a follow-up meeting scheduled and it looks like there’s a clear path to all requested improvements!
  • Sent out an incentivized feedback form to my college Met Agnes Ho w/ Gargi to talk about our impostor syndrome project
  • ^ along those lines, scheduled meeting with campus-wide RHAs to propose said project
  • Added peer institutions into my academic hours project
  • About to meet with other Senators to work on academic accommodations for next semesterLoving my weekly NSR meetings - at this one, we officially emailed the raffle winners + shipped our hats + stickers out to winning Sidizens:’)
  • Continuing work on blue lights + street lights; checking out petition website for street lights on parts of campus that are Houston
  • Following up with everyone who filled out feedback survey
  • Met with Campus-Wide RHAs + Helen + Gargi to discuss impostor syndrome project
  • Connected with Lisa Balabanlillar on South Asian language COLL classes
  • Met about academic accommodations, working on my parts of the whereas clauses
  • Met with environmental committee to interview Bobby Tudor (so cool that he responded and that our committee got to prepare questions and get answers from him on all of them!) and going to start process of writing op-ed for Thresher based on interview results
  • Senator focus group on sexual assault prevention/education
  • Working on research + lesson plans for impostor syndrome project w/Gargi + our NSRs,, also making cute Canva designs for advertisement for our Sid + Brown pilot next semester!
  • Lots of meetings on academic credits project - Provost took interest so i have scheduled meeting with Provost DesRoches coming up next week
  • Met w/ AMC + Wendi Schoffstoll to discuss accessibility of break housing; came up with a proposal and will be meeting with Wendi again to discuss and implement
  • Had Sid Environmental Committee’s first meeting as co-chair!
  • Looking for quotes from Bobby Tudor interview for SA Environmental Committee op-ed in Thresher
  • Met with student leadership from Sid + Martel on composting, w/ New Sid as post-consumer trial location; got involved w/making sure it goes smoothly at Sid